Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
250g plain flour
50g icing sugar
125g unsalted butter (softened)
5 medium eggs: (1 for pastry & seperate 4 into egg whites/yolks)
50ml/3tbsp milk & splash for pastry
150g ground almonds
150g caster sugar
zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
zest 1/2 an orange (optional)
1 tsp LittlePod vanilla paste
1 tsp clear honey (optional)
1 tbsp limoncello or cointreau
handful of flaked almonds
cream, crème fraiche or ice-cream to serve
1. Line and grease an 8 inch flan pan. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4. Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl or mixer. Add the softened butter, 1 egg and splash of milk. Mix until a ball is formed. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour.
2. Meanwhile, sift the ground almonds and caster sugar into a bowl. Add the lemon & orange zest, vanilla paste and honey. Then add the juice of lemon, milk, limencello or cointreau and 4 egg yolks. Mix all ingredients to a smooth paste.
3. Remove the pastry from the fridge, and roll out until it fits into a lined 8-inch flan tin. Cover and blind bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees or until golden.
4. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff, then gently fold into the almond mixture (note: for a lighter or heavier bake, ad more or less egg whites, respectively).
5. Once blind-baked, fill the pastry with the mixture. Dot with flaked almonds and cook for 25 minutes or until top is gently browned at 180 degrees. Check the mix is cooked by inserting a knife or skewer so that it comes out clean.
6. Decorate with sifted icing sugar and/or fresh fruit and serve with cream or ice-cream.