This recipe has been transformed from an old favourite of Delia's with a few adjustments of our own. Especially using the LittlePod Coffee extract - another fantastic chefs secret. This is a quick and easy cake to make and is totally delicious!
230g self-raising flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
230g softened unsalted butter
4 large eggs
230g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp LittlePod coffee extract
150g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp LittlePod coffee extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170'c, gas mark 3 and grease and line 2 x 18cm sponge tins.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl. Hold the sieve high to bring air into the flour.
3. Add the softened butter, sugar and whisk to a mix, then add each egg slowly and mix using an electric hand whisk.
4. Add the LittlePod coffee extract and combine the flavour into the cake mixture.
5. Now divide the mixture into the lined cake tins, levelling it using a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
6. Bake for 25mins so the sponges are cooked. check the bake with a knife, which should be clean after inserting into the cake.
7. Make the coffee cream whilst the cakes are cooling. Put the mascarpone, icing sugar and coffee extract into a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk. Add a tablespoon of milk if the coffee cream becomes too thick. The cream needs to smooth and spreadable.
8. Decorate the cooled cake with the coffee cream filling, and cream on the top with walnut halves to decorate.