Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Mini Simnel Cakes
Our founder, Janet, often refers to afternoon treat with a cup of tea as a 'little smackeral of something' and we think that these individual simnel cakes fit the criteria perfectly at this time of year.
175g butter, melted
225g wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp LittlePod Vanilla Paste
100g light muscovado sugar
125g mixed dried fruit
75g dried apricots, chopped
75g chopped walnuts
75g chopped/grated marzipan
3 medium eggs
zest of 1 medium orange
4 tbsp apricot jam
iced flowers/mini eggs to decorate
1. Preheat the oven 10 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and lightly grease a 12 x 125ml muffin tin.
2. Measure out the flour, cinnamon and mixed spice then add the sugar, dried fruit, nuts and chopped marzipan.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then add the milk, vanilla paste and zest of orange. Add the milk/egg mix and melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
5. Leave to cool slightly, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Roll out the marzipan until 2-3mm thick and use a cutter (roughly the same size as the diameter of the cakes). Spread a teaspoon of apricot jam on each cake then top with the marzipan shapes and decorate with an individual flower or mini egg (use extra jam as glue if necessary).