Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Chocolate & Raspberry Macarons
This particular photo was taken at Food Magazine's 'finalists' tea party as part of their awards at Combe House in Devon. Our Vanilla Paste was voted a finalist in the 'best food product category'. Not to be confused with macarOOns, these bitesized French treats look very impressive at a tea party...but...(don't tell anyone!)...can actually be pretty straightforward and quick to make! They're charming as gifts and you can experiment with different flavours too, even savoury! Chocolate and raspberry is a tried and tested flavour combination and the addition or our vanilla paste and chocolate extract gives extra intensity of flavour. These will definitely be on the menu at the next LittlePod tea party!
125g icing sugar
100g ground almonds
2 medium egg whites
1 tsp chocolate extract
2 tsp cocoa powder
For the filling:
50g good quality hard chocolate (milk or dark)
2 tsp of warm skimmed milk
1 tsp LittlePod vanilla paste
50g raspberries (washed and chopped)
1. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl, and add the ground almonds.
3. Whisk the egg whites, add the chocolate extract, and then fold into the mix.
4. Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe onto the baking parchment (roughly 3cm across should make 24). Make sure each blob is smooth (you can use a wet finger, or gently drop the tray on the work-surface). Leave for 10-15 minutes, then pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they feel firm.
5. Leave to cool, then gently peel from the parchment. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water, add the milk and vanilla paste and raspberries. Leave to thicken slightly, then use to sandwich the macarons together.