Choc & Beet Fudge Cake
- Ready in: 2 hours 30mins
- Serves: 12
- Complexity: easy
- 250g dark chocolate, plus 150g for topping
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp LittlePod vanilla paste
- 1 tsp LittlePod chocolate extract
- 4 tablespoons clear honey, plus 3 for the topping
- 40g self-raising flour
- 40g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 25g cocoa powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 250g raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
- 100ml strong black coffee (or 1 tsp LittlePod Coffee Extract), plus 3 tablespoons (or 1sp of LittlePod Coffee Extract) for the topping
- 1 teaspoon LittlePod vanilla extract
- 30ml sunflower oil
Preheat oven to 160ºC, or a fan-assisted one to 140ºC and grease the surface of a round, 20cm diameter tin with sunflower oil. Then slowly melt 250g chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until all dissolved and set aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together with the sugar, LittlePod vanilla paste, 4 tbsp honey and chocolate extract for three minutes until pale and fluffy. Then, fold in the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cocoa powder and ground almonds.
Pat the grated beetroot thoroughly with kitchen paper in order to remove some of the
excess moisture, then fold together the beetroot, cooled chocolate, coffee and oil with the help of a spatula until completely combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook in the middle of the oven for 1 hour 30
minutes. Then cover the cake with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
To make the topping, melt the remaining chocolate then remove from the heat to add the coffee and the vanilla extract, and then the honey.Set aside for 15 mins before topping the cake.
Decorate however you wish! We think it looks beautiful with fresh, colourful flowers.